Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Blame it on the Alcohol..No seriously do...

If anyone knows me, they would now that Alcohol is one of my guilty pleasures. No I am not an alcoholic or have an addiction, I am just one to enjoy my cocktails! Well guess what, Alcohol is no good on a diet and that drink may cost you more than a burger would.

The wonderful cosmopolitan. My signature drink. This baby right here can range from 160-200 calories. Thats two bags of 100 calorie pack cookies, some hummus and chips, popcorn, a smoothie, some pink berry maybe. See all the options you have instead of the drink? 

But why is it that we are so engrained to have these beautiful colored drinks? And why is it the stronger it is, the worse it can get? I have no idea. But all i know is when It was time to slow down on the cocktails. I couldn't hang at happy hours anymore. Instead protein shakes were my new drinks. 

So Why is it that alcohol is so bad? Well according to an article on Sparkpeople.com by Liz Noelcke, 

"Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins, which are slowly digested and absorbed within the gastrointestinal system. However, this digestive process changes when alcohol is present. When you drink alcohol, it gets immediate attention (because it is viewed by the body as a toxin) and needs no digestion."

Below is the link to the article that shows more details. But in short for me, I know for a fact that i will not give up my cocktails. But there are better options out there! Something my trainer used to always tell me was to always drink WHITE LIQUORS versus DARK. Why? He said the white liquor cleanses better than the dark. Thats one rule I follow. Another rule is to always use diet juices, soda with a drink. Diet Rum n Coke, The master mixes lite 10 cal margarita versions, diet cranberry juice. It truly makes a difference.

And lastly, Alcoholic beverages are becoming more fit conscious. Some new diet spirits you may have heard of is Skinnygirl margaritas by Bethenny Frankel, Voli lite vodka represented by Pitbull, and Tyku vodka (which won this years best vodka). I have tried all three and to be honest, they are good if you really want to be conscious.

If i am looking for a strong drink at the bar and these options are not available, ill just have my usual two drink minimum with a rule that one must have a diet option involved. This way i get my buzz while not killing my total diet. And if i do drink, i usually save it for a day on the weekend knowing I'm going to be in that social scene. Don't do it during the weekday or at home when you got stuff going on, it just isn't worth it. And if it has to be strong, JUST HAVE A SHOT! 

Wine is said to be a better option because it has better effects for the heart, but who knows. Id rather have a glass of wine (4 oz-100 cal) with my dinner one day after work then a hard drink.

Hope this enlightens and make you think twice before your next drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment